Unity of Faiths Festival: Southall Park – the largest open air Inter-faith festival in London
This programme show exclusive coverage from Sangat TV team from this fantastic event with a simple aim; bringing together all communities to live in peace and harmony.
Some of the key people featured in this programme are:
1. Cllr Richard Barnes — Deputy Major of London
2. Reverend Canon Andrew Tremlett — Westminster Abbey
3. Dr Onkar Sahota — London Assembly Member for Ealing & Hillingdon
4. Yasmin Sheikh MBE — Founder British Community Honours Awards
5. Imam Bismillah of the Central Jamia Mosque, Southall
6. Giani Shamsher Singh — Granthi, Sikh Minister of Religion
7. Pavnish Kaur, Ram Kaur, Saprina Kaur, Sukhvir Singh & Navraj Singh – Sahibzada Baba Ajit Singh Gatka Akhara, Southall
8. Harbans Virdee — Namo Buddhay Vihara, Southall
9. Guatam Chakrovarty, Federation of Ambedkrite and Buddhist Organisations, UK
The festival had its debut last year on the 11th June 2011, in Southall Park, Ealing Borough, West London. It was attended by over 8000 people and was watched online by 76,000 people from 23 countries.
The festival was opened by 12 multi-faith leaders; followed by various cultural acts of art, poetry, comedy, music and dance. These acts not only entertained the crowds who joined in, but really promoted the sense of togetherness and community spirit that uplifts and unites any society.
This event enhanced the union of faiths and cultures and played a major role in Southall not being targeted 2 months later during the London Riots. The festival was mentioned and also praised by the British Prime Minister, Rt Hon David Cameron in the House of Commons at the time of the riots.
Religious leaders from some of the well-known faiths in Southall all contributed by sharing their messages, declaring that each religion recognises that “God is Love, Love is God” and also pointing to the “Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man”.
This year’s festival took take place on Sunday 8 July 2012 at Southall Park. The organisers introduced various different areas for the public to engage and interact through various zones – Education Zone, Interactive Zone, Faith Zone and Kids Zone.
Source: Sukhdeep Singh Dhillon, Festival Co-ordinator